Computer Virus are the threats for computer it harms your computer in one or many way. It makes your system slow or steals and stores your data to their server but this time I are talking about Shortcut Virus, a new modern virus automatically comes in your computer/USB/SD card and converts all of your content into a shortcut. Sometime this virus makes you content invisible (not showing) and storage showing still full.
Here I am going to share the method to remove the shortcut virus and make your all content visible. There are two methods for that
Method 1:- Using command prompt
- Connect your infected USB storage (Pen drive, SD card, etc.) with your Computer.
- Run Command prompt as Administrator. (Windows key + R > Type CMD & press ENTER, or search CMD > Right click to CMD and Select “Run as Administrator”
- Type the following command in Command prompt: attrib -h -r -s /s /d X:\*.*, (Where, X is the USB drive letter) and press Enter. (For example: If your drive letter is F, then the command is attrib -h -r -s /s /d F:\*.*)
The explanation of the above code:
Attrib specifies the attribute (as you might have guessed it)
-H is to unhide all the files on Flash Drive (which were hidden as shortcuts due to the virus)
-R is to create the files in your Pen Drive (recreate the shortcut files retrieving the original contents)
-S makes all the file on your USB drive not to be the part of system again (which makes it easy to do the process)
F is the Assumed USB Drive’s Letter (you’ll have to change it according to your Pen Drive)
- Copy all the data from the drive and format the drive once
- Copy back your data to the drive
Method:- 2 Using software
I found some software on the web that can easily fix the shortcut virus problem. I’m using USB Fix for this tutorial because it works great and it is absolutely free. Follow the steps below to remove shortcut virus using USB Fix software:
- Download, install and launch USB fix (If your antivirus showing virus in the software so please disable it for a few minutes).
- Close all programs running in the taskbar (Because the software kill all running programs and you may lose data).
- Connect all of your shortcut virus infected USBs with computer, and Choose Clean.
4.Wait.. And virus from all connected USBs goes automatically fix.
It automatically cleans the shortcut virus from all USBs and don’t forget to restart your computer after using this tool because it makes changes in windows directory and until you restart your computer, it will not work properly.