Windows 7 Cool Feature – Problem Steps Recorder
November 9, 2016
Problem Steps Recorder can be used to automatically capture the steps performed by a user on a computer, including a text description of where they clicked and a picture of the screen during each click. This capture is then automatically saved to a file that can be used by a support professional to help the user troubleshoot the issue or understand what steps were taken by the user.
- Click Start ->Click Run or (Win + R) to open Run Command.
- Type PSR and Press Enter.
- Problem Steps Recorder toolbar will appear
- Now whatever you do on your computer it will be recorded in snaps as well as text.
- To Stop recording simply press “Stop Record” button.
- You will be prompted to save the resulting ZIP file:
- Write the name of the file and save it on the desktop or any location.
- Now extract the compressed file by right click extract all option.
- A Problem.mht file will be there in the extracted folder.
- Now open the file in internet explorer.
- Snaps including text and timings of all events will be there in that file.
- By default, PSR will record only 25 screenshots, but this can be changed to any number. Click on the small down-arrow next to the help icon, and then select Settings.
- In any case, PSR is more than just a screenshot capturing tool. Besides automating the capturing of what’s going on the screen, it will also highlight the user’s mouse clicks, and, most importantly, will provide a detailed textual metadata with a description of what the user is doing.