A keylogger trojan is malicious, surreptitious software that monitors your keystrokes, all the passwords and logins of your internet accounts, bank accounts, or credit card numbers logging them to a file and sending them off to remote attackers. Some keyloggers are able to make screenshots of users’ activity in order to trace their internet activity.
The best defense against keyloggers is prevention. One of the most common infection sources is peer-to-peer (P2P) filesharing networks, such as Kazaa, Morpheus, Gnutella, and dozens of others. Keyloggers are also commonly sent as email attachments and via links in instant messages that point to the infected file.
Detection and removal of key logger virus
- You should trace the behavior of you PC in order to find the common virus symptoms because the keylogger symptoms have much in common with the symptoms of other computer infections. We can refer slow computer performance, new icons on your desktop or in tray, network activity and unexpected pop-ups to these symptoms. Also you can notice that the text that you type can appear with little delay – this is the direct symptom that will help you in keystroke logger detection.
- OpenTask Manager in order to end the process of the installed keylogger. You should know that not every keylogger can be found in Task Manager. Many of them hide their traces. But you should still check the possibility to end its process:
- PressCTRL+ALT+DELETE, then select Task Manager in the menu.
- Select Processes tab, scroll the list. Find the process that is calledexe. One process with such a name is a normal thing, but if you have 2 processes with the same name, then you have a keylogger.
- Highlight thesecond winlogon.exe and click End process (you should end only the second process with such a name)
If there is just one process with such a name, then you should check all other processes, using the special services that contain information about most of the processes to detect the malicious one. You can use Liutilities, Neuber or any other service that you know. If you are an experienced user, then it will be much easier for you to check the processes, because you will not miss the system process with any malicious.
If you end the process that belongs to keylogger, then the program is deactivated till the next reboot and the third party will not get your personal information.
- You should also look through the list of the installed programs. So, click Start menu, then All programs, try to find there the program that you did not install. Uninstall such programs.
- How to detect keylogger? You can also detect this malicious program with the help of Startup So, you should follow the instructions:
- Press Windows+R buttons, then type msconfig in the line and press Enter
- Select Startup tab and disable all the unknown programs
- Then restart your computer.
This are all the manual instructions that will help you to find keylogger on your computer and deactivate it. But you should know that in order to remove keylogger you should use any special keylogger finder or keylogger remover. Only special keylogger removal tools know for sure how to detect keylogger, perform keylogger scan and remove this malicious program.
The most effective method to get rid of a keylogger is to perform the manual keylogger removal instructions and then use any automatic tool. The manual method will weaken the malicious program and the program will remove it.
You can also use any antivirus program in order to find and get rid of a keylogger, because some antivirus programs have keyloggers in its signature base. But not every antivirus program can substitute a special keylogger remover. If you want to use special program that was created to deactivate keyloggers and remove them.