How to check if Google is tracking you and how to stop it if it is.
June 13, 2017
To see if you have location history enabled, head to your Google Maps Timeline. In the belt below the map Google will tell you whether location history is on or off and let you enable or pause it. (You can also find this setting in the Personal info and privacy section on your Google account page. Scroll down to the Places you go area click the toggle switch to turn it off.)
Check your phone’s location settings:-
- For iOS users who want to disable Google’s location reporting from your iPhone, you will need to disable Location Reporting from the Google search app or another Google app on your iPhone, such as Google Maps.
- For the Google search app, tap on your profile pic in the upper-left corner to open Settings. Next, tap on Privacy, tap Location and Location Reporting and then choose Do not report. You could leave Location Reporting enabled but prevent Google from storing your history by tapping Location History from the Location screen and then choosing Do not store before tapping Done.
- On Google Maps, tap the hamburger button in the top left, tap Your timeline, tap the triple-dot button in the top right and tap Settings. Under Location settings, you can see if Location Services and Location History are turned on or off. From this page in settings, you can also delete all or a portion of your location history.
- There is also a new item on the main Google Maps panel called Share location. It lets you temporarily share your location with specific contacts.
- You can also see which apps are using location services on your iPhone by going to Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
- For Android users, the process is streamlined. Go to Settings > Location > Google Location Reporting. For Location Reporting, tap the slider to turn it off.